Seriously, who doesn’t like food on a stick. If, it’s on a stick you just know it’s going to be delicious (well okay maybe not the live scorpions in the Shanghai night markets – but to be fair… I didn’t actually taste them).
But being on a stick doesn’t have to mean it’s not healthy. and I find it hard to go past chicken skewers grilled on a BBQ
Chicken skewers are so simple yet so full of flavour and are always a treat to eat. Juicy marinated meat, vegetables with great char and it is all threaded on a little wooden stick! What can be easier than that? One of my favourite recipes is chicken, capsicum (bell peppers), and onion with a yogurt marinade.
- 8-10 wooden skewers
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or cocnut yougurt for a non-dairy option
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2-3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), de-seeded and chopped
- 1 large green capsicum (bell pepper), de-seeded and chopped
- a punnet of cherry tomatoes
- a punnet of button (or small) mushrooms
- 1 zucchini (siced in rounds)
- 2 large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into bite-size cubes
- Anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours before you begin, soak your wooden skewers in a bowl or pot of cold water. Make sure that they are fully submerged. Wooden skewers are great to use but they can burn. Soaking prevents this problem as well as splintering. Once the skewers have been taken care of gather your ingredients.
- Make the marinade by adding yogurt, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, minced garlic and lemon juice into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Toss the chicken cubes in the marinade until they are well coated and leave in the fridge for 1 - 3 hours.
- Assemble your skewers by taking a soaked wooden skewer and placing one piece of marinated chicken followed by a piece of capsicum, mushroom, cherry tomato, zucchini and onion, and then repeat until skewer is complete (make sure there is some space in between for proper grilling).
- Preheat BBQ grill, and cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side until chicken is golden brown and cooked. Watch and turn often.
- Remove skewers from grill, place onto a platter and serve.