Snacks are my Achilles heel. I’ll admit that up front.
I lead a pretty busy life, and as much as I try – occasionally a meal time will come and go, passing me by!
That’s when I most risk straying off the path.
Knowing my weakness I try to combat it with having healthy filling snacks on hand, so I’m always on the look out for a delicious natural protein bar recipe.
- 2 cups of mixed nuts and seeds
- ½ cup flax meal or protein powder (use ½ and ½)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup nut butter
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (Use cocoa butter for a more warm weather-stable bar)
- 2 Tbsp Rice Malt Syrup (if concerned about Fructose) or Honey (if concerned about traces of Gluten)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw cacao butter - I use Earth Circle Organic
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place nuts, seeds, flax meal, coconut, nut butter in the food processor
- Process until the nuts or seeds are ground into a coarse meal
- Melt coconut oil or cocoa butter over low heat.
- Add coconut oil, sweeteners and vanilla to processor bowl and process until well combined to form a thick, yet crunchy paste.
- Press the mixture into an 8×8 square pan
- Place in refrigerator to chill.
- While bars are chilling, prepare chocolate topping
- Place the cacao butter in a heatproof bowl set over a small pot of boiling water.
- Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the butter has started to melt but there are still a few small solid pieces.
- Remove from heat, add the honey and cacao powder.
- Whisk vigorously to combine and make a smooth, thin syrup. If it’s too thick, you can return to the heat for 30 seconds.
- Top bars with the melted chocolate mixture
- Place back in refrigerator to chill
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in refrigerator.