One of my favourite kitchen gadgets is my spiralizer. It’s a great way to get veggies into the diet. Colour, taste, texture. In our house – on a low carb diet – it gives us an opportunity to incorporate pasta and noodles into our dishes without including, well, pasta and noodles.
I won’t insult all the pasta eaters by saying this totally replaces the flavour of your creamy cabonaras and spaghetti bolognese – it’s a totally different flavour. But the flavour is just as good. And there is none of that heavy, over-full feeling when you are done on that second helping!
Zucchini is one of the easiest vegetables to spiralize so here is my Garlic and Avocado Pesto Zoodle recipe – inspired by the flavours of Italy.
- 1 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tbsp. cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp. grated Pecorino Cheese (Use grated macadamia nuts if dairy free)
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups zucchini, spiral
- In a food processor grind pine nuts and cashew nuts to fine powder.
- Add cheese, basil leaves, olive oil, ripe avocado, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and process until you have a smooth mixture.
- Arrange zucchini pasta on 2 plates and top evenly with the avocado pesto mixture.
- Serve and enjoy.
Check out this and other great posts on the following Blog Link-ups