It finally looks like Winter is Coming (OK Game of Thrones is on for the next 10 weeks… so there will be quotes and references you may as well come to terms with that sooner rather than later) But apart from Monday evenings of TV goodness full of death destruction and general mayhem, it’s also the season of slow cooked stews and curries and hearty soups!
What could be better!
Delicious, chunky and loaded with vegetables, it is the perfect accompaniment to settle in to watch the high drama in unfolding in Westeros…
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 750g beef chuck steak, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 turnip or parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef, in batches, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer to a bowl.
Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, carrot, celery and swede. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until combined and heated through.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of a 5 litre slow-cooker.
- Add beef, stock, tomato and thyme.
- Cook on low for 6 hours
- I bought a slow cooker with a sear function which saves me having to brown everything in the saucepan first. I can do it all straight in the slow cooker... best idea ever!