Have you ever stopped to look at what is in a packet of taco seasoning mix?
Since we have drasticaly reduced processed foods in our house I gettruley scared reading the back of food packets these days. Even a bottle of dried herbs is not 100% dried herbs!
Not to mention the costs of prepackaged spice mixes. Most are so simple to make and keep for ages. I know I would rather know what’s going in to my food by making it myself. And it really only does take a few minutes to shake these delicious seasonings together!
Being that my husband is a bit of a Mexican food freak, this easy taco seasoning mix is a staple at our place. While we don’t eat corn chips or traditional corn tortillas, it certainly spices up our mince dishes with the flavours and aromas of a mexican cantina!
This recipe only takes a couple minutes to put together and costs less than buying pre-packaged taco seasoning. It also has less salt and no artificial additives or preservatives.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to combine.
- Use 2 - 3 tablespoons per 500g of ground beef (use more or less according to individual taste preferences).
- This recipe can also be made in larger batches.
- Store unused amounts in an air tight container for up to 6 months.