Everyone loves a hearty Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup… It’s that time of the year down in the southern hemisphere.
It’s been a winter of major storms and cold wintery nights, complete with long days of power outages, so soup seemed like a good meal for our regular “Sunday Arvo Meal Prep”.
It’s always handy to have some soup in the fridge or freezer for those times when you are in a hurry but stil want a delicious, nutritious and hearty meal.
The beauty of this recipe is you can add almost vegetables you want.. and roasting them gives a nice smokey and caramalised flavour to the soup. Make it as thick or watery as you like by adjusting the amount of stock.
- 2 large onions, cut into eighths
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 parsnips peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery sticks cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 cups chicken stock or Vegetable stock (if Vegetarian or vegan)
- 3 tbsp rice maple syrup
- sea salt and pepper to taste*optional- plain Greek yogurt, for garnish (if eating dairy)
- Preheat the oven to 218 degrees C (425 degrees F)
- Distribute the onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and carrots evenly on a baking tray ensuring there is space between the veggies
- Drizzle the vegetables with coconut oil.
- Season GENEROUSLY with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes until vegetables are tender, flipping once, halfway through cooking.
- When the veggies have roasted, transfer them into a large pot on the stove top. Add just enough chicken stock to cover the veggies by 1 inch.
- Put the lid on and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid cracked for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup with either an immersion stick blender, a blender or I use a Nutribullet
- Taste and season with sea salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in a bowl with a spoon of plain greek yogurt and parsley to garnish