Mornings are chaos in our house.
A typical day starts with me waking around 5am, scoffing a coffee(yes that’s my vice) lovingly made by hubby before jumping out of bed.
Then, it’s shower, hair, makeup, pack the gym bag, pack lunch, gulp down breakfast and run out the door by 6am.
At which time husband and cat can both go back to bed in relative piece and quiet for another hour.
Now let me back track to the gulp down breakfast step.
Let me start by saying, the best way to have breakfast is a nice big nutritious meal, eaten calmly and thoughtfully while sitting at the dining table.
Let’s just concede that is going to be a future goal and not beat ourselves up about it.
The reality is that I need something quick, that I can possibly consume while on the move, but is still packed with lots of goodness and nutrition.
Enter SCOTT’S SUPER GREEN SMOOTHIE!
Smoothies are an awesome way to pack a lot of nutrients into a convenient mobile meal – if you do it right.
IE – include protein, good fats, not too much sugar/sweetener (even natural fruit sugars).
Scott -(aka Hubby) has given a number of variations a go over the last year. Here’s the one I love best 🙂
- 1 handful of Kale
- 1 small avocado
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (can use coconut water but will be less creamy)
- 1 serve Protein Powder (I use Amazonia Paleo Protein powder or a scoop of collagen hydrolysate)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tbs honey or rice malt syrup
- You can add any mixture of super-foods - eg chia seeds, goji berries, linseed spirulina, chlorella etc
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth
- If you find the consistency is too think just add more Almond milk or coconut water
What’s your favourite smoothie? What super-foods do you like to blend together to give your smoothie that extra nutritional punch?